Trump says he is ready for military action if Iran talks fail, Axios reports

0 seconds of 32 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
 
00:00
00:32
00:32
 
Short Url
Updated 27 July 2026 22:08
492
Follow

Trump says he is ready for military action if Iran talks fail, Axios reports

Small boats line the shore as cargo ships and other commercial vessels appear anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas.
  • “Not ⁠much ‌time. Either ‌it ​goes ‌fast ‌or not at all,” Trump told ‌Axios when asked how ⁠long ⁠he was willing to give for talks

WASHINGTON: US President Donald ​Trump said on Monday Washington was in “very deep ‌talks ‌with ​Iran” ‌and ⁠warned that ​he is ⁠ready for “strong military action” if diplomacy failed.

“Not ⁠much ‌time. Either ‌it ​goes ‌fast ‌or not at all,” Trump told ‌Axios when asked how ⁠long ⁠he was willing to give for talks.

Later on Monday, Trump told reporters that the US is having “good talks” ‌with Iran “right ‌now.”

Trump, ​on ‌Air ⁠Force ​One on ⁠his way to Michigan, said he has “plenty of time” to ⁠deal with Iran. “There’s ‌a ‌good ​chance ‌that something could ‌happen,” Trump said about a potential deal with Iran.

The ‌president also said he will ask ⁠Russia ⁠about providing satellite imagery to assist Iran. “I’ll ask Putin about it,” Trump said. “We’ll find out.”

Iran, meanwhile, said it was still in control of the Strait of Hormuz and not seeking to resume peace talks with the United States, after Trump halted a two-week bombing campaign that his top brass told him had run its course.

Following 13 successive nights of intensifying bombing that provoked Tehran to fire on US bases in response, Trump halted the campaign over the weekend.

Iran said it would suspend its own attacks for as long as the US pause endures. The end of the US bombing campaign sent oil prices tumbling in the hope that disrupted global supplies could resume flowing.

Brent crude, which had briefly ticked above $100 a barrel last week for the first time since May, plunged more than 8 percent by mid-morning on Monday to just under $89.

But in signs on Monday that Tehran may already be testing the effective new ceasefire, Jordan reported shooting down ‌two drones and Iraqi ‌security sources said drones had struck a base of Iranian Kurdish opposition fighters in northern Iraq. ​There were ‌no reports ⁠of ​casualties ⁠in either incident.

LIVE
An error occurred. Please try again later

Change Preferred Languages

Select Your Preferred Languages

Tap to add languages one at a time (Maximum 5)

Selected: 0/5
Tap to add languages...

We Speak your Language!

Arab News is now available in 50 languages.

Please login or register with your email to select your preferred languages.

LIVE
An error occurred. Please try again later
Advertisement